Skip to main content

In the Fermentor: Wheatwine

Wheatwines are a style that I've just started looking into. I've only a had a couple of them and that was enough to pique my interest.

For my brew, I've decided to to take what's essentially a Hefeweizen on steroids grain-bill, toss in some CaraWheat malt for a touch of sweetness and then hop it to American Barleywine levels with American hops. A clean Ale yeast, plus the high bitterness will make sure no one mistakes this creation for a Weizenbock.

Since my canning pot setup doesn't allow for huge amounts of grain, I've taken the partial-mash approach and added Malt Extract to push up the Original Gravity. Although it feels a little odd brewing a big beer in August, something this strong needs at least 3-4 months to mature. I'll be back around Thanksgiving with a final report.

Here's the five gallon brew:

Grains:
8 lbs Rahr White Wheat
4 lbs Rahr Pale Ale
8 oz Weyermann CaraWheat

Hops:
1 oz Galena (13.4% a.a.): 60 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight 7 C's (9.9% a.a.): 20 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight 7 C's (9.9% a.a.): 5 min

Extras:
3 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat LME

Total Boil Time:
60 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale


Mash Schedule:
Protein Rest: 125 for 20 min
Saccharification Rest: 151F for 60 min
Mashout: 168F for 15 minutes

Original Gravity:
1.092
Estimated Final Gravity:
1.023

IBU: 70
SRM Color: 11

Fermentation Schedule:
2 Week Primary
2 Months Secondary
2 Weeks Bottle Conditioning

Cost: $19 per case

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the Bottle: Oak Aged La Petite Orange

I said in my previous post that I'd saved some of Northern Brewer's La Petite Orange kit to age with Sherry Infused Oak Cubes. The aged beer is ready to go, so let's see what the Oak and Sherry did. I've had more than a few Barrel Aged beers that were completely dominated by the wood and whatever alcohol (Rum, Bourbon, Sherry, etc) the barrel originally contained. In my beer, the oak and sherry are subtle. That's what I was shooting for, so I'm quite happy with that. The flavors and aromas from the original beer are still present. There's no point in revisiting them. What I really care about is the changes the wood made. Vanilla is the most significant contribution. There's also a very mild almond note at work. The Sherry really cuts through in the aroma. It provides an extra helping of dark fruits, plus a little more alcohol heat. The beer is definitely more wine-like than before. On a side note, I took my own advice and bumped the priming su

In the Fermentor: Twitter Bitter

I was asking around on Twitter about what beer style I should brew with some of my lingering grains, hops and yeast from 2013. The finalists came down to a Mild or an Ordinary Bitter . I've decided to combine both into a brew with the flavor of a Bitter, but the low ABV session beer goodness of a Mild. Since my goal was to brew without taking a trip to a Homebrew store, everything in the beer below was already on hand at home. My hop quantities are a little odd, because I was trying to use up open Challenger and EKG packages. The finished beer should have a nice sweet/bitter balance and an alcohol content of around 3.5%. Here's the 5-gallon recipe: Grains: 5 lbs Fawcett Optic Malt 8 oz Briess Caramel 80L 8 oz Fawcett Amber Malt Hops: 1 oz Challenger (6.9% a.a.): 60 min 0.5 oz Challenger (6.9% a.a.): 20 min 0.75 oz East Kent Goldings (4.5% a.a.): 0 min Total Boil Time: 90 min Yeast: White Labs WLP002 - English Ale Mash Schedule: Saccharification Rest: 1

Kitchen Brewing Part 3: Sparge and Boil

The mash emerges from the oven. Now that we're finished with Part 1 and Part 2 of this series, it's time to Sparge. As you can see from the photo, the grains have absorbed a lot of liquid. In a traditional all-grain setup, your Mash Tun has a valve at the bottom to release the first running of Wort. The grains are then rinsed with the sparge water to extract any remaining sugars. My stove-top method doesn't afford such luxury, so a different method is called for. The grains have gained a little weight. There are a couple of choices at this point. One choice is to lift the grain bag out of Pot A and place it into the sparge water in Pot B to steep for 10-15 minutes or more. The other is to lift the grain bag up, put a colander under it and slowly pour the sparge water through the grains into the original pot. I prefer the former, because I get a better extraction rate from my grains. All that absorption means that the grains weigh a lot more than they did going i