Skip to main content

In the Fermentor: Wedding Kölsch

The beer below is inspired by the Kölsch/German Pils hybrid I brewed last Summer. My fiance said the original beer was one of her favorites, so I'm brewing a mild variation on it.

This time around, I'm using a local Pils malt in addition to some Kölsch Malt that I had good luck with last year. I've also upped the ante by switching from a single to a double decoction mash. The hops and yeast are the same. The final beer should be perfect for our warm late Spring wedding.

Here's the recipe for 5 gallons:

Grains:
6.5 lbs Colorado Malting Pilsner
1.5 lbs Global Malt Kölsch Malt

Hops:
1 oz Spalt (5.3% a.a.): First Wort Hopping
0.4 oz Magnum (14.7% a.a.): 60 min
1 oz Spalt (5.3% a.a.): 7 min

Total Boil Time:
90 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 1007 - German Ale

Mash Schedule:
Protein Rest: 125F for 20 min
Decoction 1:
     Heat ~1/2 of mash to 155F and hold for 20 min
     Heat Decoction again to boiling and boil for 15 min
Saccharification Rest: 149F for 30 min
Decoction 2:
     Heat ~1/2 of mash to boiling and boil for 15 min
Mashout: 168F for 15 min

Original Gravity:
1.048
Estimated Final Gravity:
1.012

IBU: 38
SRM Color: 3

Fermentation Schedule:
2 Weeks Primary
2 Weeks Secondary
4 Weeks Cold Bottle Conditioning

Cost: $13 per case
Commercial Equivalent: Avery Joe's Premium American Pilsner: $32
Savings: $19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Brewing: Dark Session Saison

I've been asked to brew all of the beer for my friend's Birthday. It's in mid-August, so I have to get everything going right now . There will be five beers in all: Dunkelweiss, Wit, Saison, Dark Saison and Kölsch. Rather than post all of the recipes at once, I'm going to spread them out into separate posts. My Session Saison and SMaSH Kölsch were already underway before I was asked to brew the other beers. The Dark Saison below is an extension of the Session Saison. I've expanded the original recipe to make a darker beer. CaraMunich Malt adds a little caramel sweetness, while Carafa II brings a light dark chocolate edge to the brew. The rest of the beer is as it was before, with the same hops and yeast. Adding extra grains does push the alcohol content up a bit, but the beer still shouldn't break the 5% ABV mark. I'm anxious to try my two Saisons out side by side and taste the difference that two extra grains can make. For five gallons: Grai...

Out of the Bottle: Insert clever use of the word Wit here

My latest Wit was a hit at my friend's birthday party. He especially liked the beer's citrus components. Others found it to be light and refreshing. I heard no Blue Moon comparisons, which actually made me quite happy. Compared to My Wit's End , this beer is much closer to style. Unmalted Wheat is part of the reason, as there's much less grainy sweetness at work. Instead, the beer is crisp and dry. The bitter orange peel really does its thing. The peel's sharp flavor melds nicely with the sweet orange peel I also used. Coriander pushes the beer's spicy character along. If I were to change anything, it would be to dial it back a notch or two. Some light sourdough aromas round out the flavor and aroma. Despite the relatively low ABV of right around 5.0%, the beer sports a fairly hefty body. Overall, I'm quite happy with this Wit. Next time, I'll hold back on the coriander. Maybe I will even take a shot at a Turbid Mash, which sounds like a great sub...

Out of the Cellar: Old Man's Chest

2014 I can't believe it's been a year since I bottled my last Old Ale . I suppose time flies while you're having fun. Anyway, it's time to see what's taken place in the last 12 months. Things have changed quite a bit the last 12 months. First off, the flavors meld better than they did before. This is still a complex flavored beer, but the balance of the different pieces is more cohesive. Bitterness has faded just a bit, but still carries the black tea bite that was there before. 2013 The rum-like qualities have really cut through with time. There's an almost vinous quality to the beer that wasn't around before. This is especially true in the nose. A slightly heavy body persists that is drier than before. The beer finishes with lingering toffee and rum flavors. Overall, I'm quite happy with how this beer aged. I'd still tweak the recipe if I brewed it again, but time has made for a much more cohesive brew.