Skip to main content

A Few of My Favorite Things: Samuel Smith Taddy Porter

I'm off on my Honeymoon, so I put CO Kitchen Brew on auto-pilot to publish itself while I'm away. This is the first non-homebrew beer review on my blog and definitely not the last.

I can't think of enough good things to say about Taddy Porter. I feel it's the consummate English Porter. It's also one of my gateway beers from the mid 90s that spurred me onto homebrewing. Because of that, it holds a special place in my beer hierarchy.

Taddy pours with a deep chocolate brown hue. Its head is tan, firm and stays with the beer. The only weak point is the lack of lace down the glass. My bottle left only tiny patches.

The nose is very complex and slightly sweet. Blackberry, dark cherry, chocolate and black grape aromas are nicely mixed.

In the mouth, an initial sweetness gives way to perfect sweet/bitter balance. Tastes of bakers chocolate, cherries and black grapes have great interplay. The finish is dry. Some hop bitterness lingers initially, but gives way to a bittersweet combination of blackberries and dark cherries.

Overall, Taddy is my favorite English Porter. Enough said. I only wish it didn't cost so much. I could break the bank with it. Now if  I could just figure out how to clone the damn thing.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Brewing: Dark Session Saison

I've been asked to brew all of the beer for my friend's Birthday. It's in mid-August, so I have to get everything going right now . There will be five beers in all: Dunkelweiss, Wit, Saison, Dark Saison and Kölsch. Rather than post all of the recipes at once, I'm going to spread them out into separate posts. My Session Saison and SMaSH Kölsch were already underway before I was asked to brew the other beers. The Dark Saison below is an extension of the Session Saison. I've expanded the original recipe to make a darker beer. CaraMunich Malt adds a little caramel sweetness, while Carafa II brings a light dark chocolate edge to the brew. The rest of the beer is as it was before, with the same hops and yeast. Adding extra grains does push the alcohol content up a bit, but the beer still shouldn't break the 5% ABV mark. I'm anxious to try my two Saisons out side by side and taste the difference that two extra grains can make. For five gallons: Grai...

In the Fermentor: Wood Aged Quadrupel-Imperial-Doppel-Barley-Weizen-Wee-Sour

Who says you can't have everything? Well, I'm doing just that by creating a beer that combines the best aspects of eight big beer styles: Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Doppelbock, Barleywine, Weizenbock and Wee Heavy. But wait, there's more! The beer will be aged for year with everyone's favorite bacterias to make a Sour. On top of that, Sherry infused oak cubes will provide that little extra something. A massive grain-bill, plus a healthy dollop of Candi Sugar should push the alcohol content up over 11%. Compensating for the strength is a biting combination of Noble, English and American hops. A Decoction Mash gives the beer an extra bit of German character. Heavily caramelizing the First Runnings provides more depth of flavor than a standard boil. For that extra push over the cliff, 11 malts are working to make the beer one louder. I'm giving this one at least a year of fermentation before I even touch it. Here's the five gallon recipe: Grains: 4 ...

In the Fermentor: Flaming Pumpkin

I'll admit that I'm not a huge Pumpkin Beer fan. I didn't have one on my brewing calendar for this year and didn't have my sights set on one for next Fall either. Then my niece came along and threw down the gauntlet. She asked me to brew her a pumpkin beer and I accepted the challenge. I did a lot of reading to see how to best go about using pumpkin in beer. Some people mash it with the grains. Others add it to the brew kettle during the boil. Some add it to the primary or secondary fermentor. The consensus from professional brewers appears to be adding it to the mash, so I took the same approach. The pumpkin was cooked ahead of time by my girlfriend to soften it, convert some of the starch and help release some of its sugars. It then joined the grains in the mash. I really want the pumpkin pie effect here, so I've thrown in all of the requisite spices toward the end of the boil. I've also gone with just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness of the ...