Skip to main content

Saving Money: How low can you go?

I was wandering through the liquor store the other day and noticed just how inexpensive 30-Packs (a.k.a. Suitcases) of really cheap beers are. Especially if they're on sale. I've seen some suitcases for as low as $13 before tax. That's roughly 43 cents per beer. Call me insane, but I became curious. Could I go to my local homebrew store and buy the ingredients to brew my own beer of similar strength for the same price, or less? Saving cash is part of this blog's ongoing theme, so I had to find out.

To meet my challenge, I decided to think light (not Lite). No big Belgians or Barleywines here. A refreshing, mildly hopped and easy to brew Blonde Ale should do the trick.

The prices below are what my local homebrew store charges, rather than the absolute lowest prices I can find. Usually to get discounts, you have to buy in bulk. Since there are no grains that I use an entire sack of in a year, or hops that I need a pound or more of, I didn't pursue that route. You may do better or worse, depending upon your store.

Here's my pretax recipe cost for five-gallons (roughly two cases) of Blonde Ale. All numbers are rounded to the nearest cent:

Base Malt: 8 lbs x $1.49 = $11.92
Specialty Malt: 0.5 lb x $1.99 =  $1.00
Hops: 1.5 oz x $2.25 = $3.38
Dry Yeast: 1 packet x $2.39 = $2.39
Total = $18.69

Cost per beer:
$18.69 / 48 = $0.39

As you can see, I beat that on-sale Suitcase simply buying straight off the store shelf. If I culture the yeast to make a few more batches, my cost goes even lower. What's more, my beer will hopefully taste better and fresher than a suitcase of cheap beer that's been sitting out for who knows how long. Besides, wouldn't you rather be drinking a homebrew?

Here's the finished recipe for my Blonde Ale:

Grains:
8 lbs Rahr Two-Row
8 oz Crisp Crystal 15

Hops:
0.5 oz Galena (13.4% a.a.): 60 min
1 oz Willamette (4.7% a.a.): 10 min

Total Boil Time:
60 min

Yeast:
Safale US-05

Mash Schedule:
Saccharification Rest: 152F for 90 min
Mashout: 168F for 15 min

Original Gravity:
1.050
Estimated Final Gravity:
1.011

IBU: 32
SRM Color: 4

Fermentation Schedule:
2 Weeks Primary
2 Weeks Secondary
2 Weeks Bottle Conditioning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Brewing: Dark Session Saison

I've been asked to brew all of the beer for my friend's Birthday. It's in mid-August, so I have to get everything going right now . There will be five beers in all: Dunkelweiss, Wit, Saison, Dark Saison and Kölsch. Rather than post all of the recipes at once, I'm going to spread them out into separate posts. My Session Saison and SMaSH Kölsch were already underway before I was asked to brew the other beers. The Dark Saison below is an extension of the Session Saison. I've expanded the original recipe to make a darker beer. CaraMunich Malt adds a little caramel sweetness, while Carafa II brings a light dark chocolate edge to the brew. The rest of the beer is as it was before, with the same hops and yeast. Adding extra grains does push the alcohol content up a bit, but the beer still shouldn't break the 5% ABV mark. I'm anxious to try my two Saisons out side by side and taste the difference that two extra grains can make. For five gallons: Grai...

In the Fermentor: Wood Aged Quadrupel-Imperial-Doppel-Barley-Weizen-Wee-Sour

Who says you can't have everything? Well, I'm doing just that by creating a beer that combines the best aspects of eight big beer styles: Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Doppelbock, Barleywine, Weizenbock and Wee Heavy. But wait, there's more! The beer will be aged for year with everyone's favorite bacterias to make a Sour. On top of that, Sherry infused oak cubes will provide that little extra something. A massive grain-bill, plus a healthy dollop of Candi Sugar should push the alcohol content up over 11%. Compensating for the strength is a biting combination of Noble, English and American hops. A Decoction Mash gives the beer an extra bit of German character. Heavily caramelizing the First Runnings provides more depth of flavor than a standard boil. For that extra push over the cliff, 11 malts are working to make the beer one louder. I'm giving this one at least a year of fermentation before I even touch it. Here's the five gallon recipe: Grains: 4 ...

In the Fermentor: Flaming Pumpkin

I'll admit that I'm not a huge Pumpkin Beer fan. I didn't have one on my brewing calendar for this year and didn't have my sights set on one for next Fall either. Then my niece came along and threw down the gauntlet. She asked me to brew her a pumpkin beer and I accepted the challenge. I did a lot of reading to see how to best go about using pumpkin in beer. Some people mash it with the grains. Others add it to the brew kettle during the boil. Some add it to the primary or secondary fermentor. The consensus from professional brewers appears to be adding it to the mash, so I took the same approach. The pumpkin was cooked ahead of time by my girlfriend to soften it, convert some of the starch and help release some of its sugars. It then joined the grains in the mash. I really want the pumpkin pie effect here, so I've thrown in all of the requisite spices toward the end of the boil. I've also gone with just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness of the ...