Skip to main content

On the Road: Los Gatos Brewing Company

It's been nearly two years since I last wrote an "On the Road" post. However, my new gig has me traveling quite a bit. What better way to take advantage of my downtime than to visit breweries?

First up on my travels is Los Gatos Brewing Company in San Jose, CA.

To be honest, after a long day of traveling, just about any beer would have tasted good to me. I was in the mood for something light and refreshing, and Log Gatos' Kolsch did the trick. It wasn't the best example of the style I've ever had. It lacked the mild white wine quality you get from a good Kolsch yeast. There was definitely more a of a Blonde Ale vibe to my palate. Nonetheless, it did its job as a refresher. The Cask ESB was more true to style. It was served at a nice cellar temp, and carried light carbonation, plus an earthy black tea bite from the hops.

If more radical beer is what you're in the mood for, this isn't the pub for you. Despite just two locations, Los Gatos has a very corporate feel that leans toward the safe side. It honestly reminded me of a BJ's or Rock Bottom, with its safe beer and seemingly focus-group approved food menu.

That said, it was nice to find a place brewing its own beer so close to my hotel. If I'm back in San Jose again, I'll probably be back here too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Brewing: Dark Session Saison

I've been asked to brew all of the beer for my friend's Birthday. It's in mid-August, so I have to get everything going right now . There will be five beers in all: Dunkelweiss, Wit, Saison, Dark Saison and Kölsch. Rather than post all of the recipes at once, I'm going to spread them out into separate posts. My Session Saison and SMaSH Kölsch were already underway before I was asked to brew the other beers. The Dark Saison below is an extension of the Session Saison. I've expanded the original recipe to make a darker beer. CaraMunich Malt adds a little caramel sweetness, while Carafa II brings a light dark chocolate edge to the brew. The rest of the beer is as it was before, with the same hops and yeast. Adding extra grains does push the alcohol content up a bit, but the beer still shouldn't break the 5% ABV mark. I'm anxious to try my two Saisons out side by side and taste the difference that two extra grains can make. For five gallons: Grai...

In the Fermentor: Wood Aged Quadrupel-Imperial-Doppel-Barley-Weizen-Wee-Sour

Who says you can't have everything? Well, I'm doing just that by creating a beer that combines the best aspects of eight big beer styles: Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Doppelbock, Barleywine, Weizenbock and Wee Heavy. But wait, there's more! The beer will be aged for year with everyone's favorite bacterias to make a Sour. On top of that, Sherry infused oak cubes will provide that little extra something. A massive grain-bill, plus a healthy dollop of Candi Sugar should push the alcohol content up over 11%. Compensating for the strength is a biting combination of Noble, English and American hops. A Decoction Mash gives the beer an extra bit of German character. Heavily caramelizing the First Runnings provides more depth of flavor than a standard boil. For that extra push over the cliff, 11 malts are working to make the beer one louder. I'm giving this one at least a year of fermentation before I even touch it. Here's the five gallon recipe: Grains: 4 ...

Kitchen Brewing Part 2: The Mash

Always start your session with a beer. Now that the equipment is together from Part 1 , it's time to start brewing. I'll be brewing an English India Pale Ale for my demo batch. The beer's details will be out in a future blog. Ingredients ready to go. I'm lucky to have a homebrew shop with a grain mill, so I've crushed my grains at the store. The hops have also been measured out ahead of time to keep things simple. You don't have to do this, but I recommend it. My setup. My stove-top setup is pretty simple. Two kettles, a grain bag and a metal spatula are pretty much it. I also like using a hop bag (available for around $5.00), but it's completely optional. If you're doing all-grain brewing, canning pots work best for batches of 2.5 gallons or less. Anything larger and you'll be battling spill-overs. They also work well for partial-mash batches of up to 5 gallons, where you can top off your wort after the boil. We hav...